Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

wixfjord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am
blockhead wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:05 am NOTE: Between the citing panel decision and the QF, Saracens have 2 league games. So a 2 match ban will see him available for the qf.
Bans are in weeks not matches though right? Or has this changed?
It is still weeks I think. probably should be games though....remember the guy who punched the face off OGara in the final test of a lions tour about 10 years ago? McRae was his name. he was red carded and then received a lengthy ban, 7 weeks iirc, but didn't miss any games because the season was over anyway.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

paddyor wrote: September 6th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Oldschool wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am With reference to the game itself.
It's rugby and as we should all be well aware.
Rugby games are won by forwards and the backs only decide by how much, except when exceptional players are involved.
Farrell as good a player as he is, is not a game changer in the manner of a Brian O'Driscoll for example or Lomu.
He absolutely is a game changer in that manner.

https://youtu.be/bH0Wx1irhL0?t=1094

I don't like or have much respect for farrell and his hubris...but without doubt, he is a good rugby player. nowhere near the class of Johnny Wilkinson and others who have played 10 but do you remember the lions documentary when oconnell was captain and farrell had only started shaving? oconnell pointed him out at half time in the dressing room and bellowed, "I'd play all f@kin day for you" or words to that effect....the faces on the english players were priceless.

High praise from POC for farrell back then, but, I genuinely don't like the sneery, thuggish vibe about him. I'll probably get lambasted for saying this...but..I preferred the johnny wilkinson style....i.e. play hard and fair but win & lose with dignity. The on-pitch sledging from farrell & co in newcastle last year was vicious and audible from where I was sitting...about 4 seats back from the touchline. jamie george is from the same ilk.

in the same breath...I would have preferred to see farrell play in the quarters.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Everyone prefers Wilkinson.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

ronk wrote: September 6th, 2020, 5:07 pm Everyone prefers Wilkinson.
Such a classy and dignified player and person.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 6th, 2020, 4:11 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am
blockhead wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:05 am NOTE: Between the citing panel decision and the QF, Saracens have 2 league games. So a 2 match ban will see him available for the qf.
Bans are in weeks not matches though right? Or has this changed?
It is still weeks I think. probably should be games though....remember the guy who punched the face off OGara in the final test of a lions tour about 10 years ago? McRae was his name. he was red carded and then received a lengthy ban, 7 weeks iirc, but didn't miss any games because the season was over anyway.
Same with Cronin at Munster who missed no games for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs in spite of being banned.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Owen Farrell is to appear before an online independent disciplinary panel on the evening of Tuesday 8th September.

Online? So much for the bikkies then.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

blockhead wrote: September 6th, 2020, 7:14 pm Owen Farrell is to appear before an online independent disciplinary panel on the evening of Tuesday 8th September.

Online? So much for the bikkies then.
At least four weeks I would have thought. Maybe longer.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 6th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Oldschool wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am With reference to the game itself.
Rugby games are won by forwards and the backs only decide by how much, except when exceptional players are involved.
Farrell as good a player as he is, is not a game changer in the manner of a Brian O'Driscoll for example or Lomu.

I don't like or have much respect for farrell and his hubris...but without doubt, he is a good rugby player. nowhere near the class of Johnny Wilkinson and others who have played 10 but do you remember the lions documentary when oconnell was captain and farrell had only started shaving? oconnell pointed him out at half time in the dressing room and bellowed, "I'd play all f@kin day for you" or words to that effect....the faces on the english players were priceless.

High praise from POC for farrell back then, but, I genuinely don't like the sneery, thuggish vibe about him. I'll probably get lambasted for saying this...but..I preferred the johnny wilkinson style....i.e. play hard and fair but win & lose with dignity. The on-pitch sledging from farrell & co in newcastle last year was vicious and audible from where I was sitting...about 4 seats back from the touchline. jamie george is from the same ilk.

in the same breath...I would have preferred to see farrell play in the quarters.

That's why everyone hates them. No class. The only one who seems to have anything about him is billy vunipola. When you look at some of their current and former players, a lot of them are good at the the sneaky cheap shots which isn't needed. Liam Williams is another one who played up to that cr@p. Ventner started it all off years ago. Trying the play the no one likes us card and winding the press up. They bought their success and have no respect from the other English clubs. Exeter absolutely despise them. Just have a listen to what Rob Baxter thinks of them!!!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

salarycens have exeter up next weekend....apart from salarycens sunshine supporters (most rugby fans who supported saracens are extremely embarrassed with the way it has unravelled) every english rugby fan will be cheering for leinster in the quarters.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 6th, 2020, 9:56 pm salarycens have exeter up next weekend....apart from salarycens sunshine supporters (most rugby fans who supported saracens are extremely embarrassed with the way it has unravelled) every english rugby fan will be cheering for leinster in the quarters.
Exeter rested up most of their first team at the weekend and still managed to beat Northampton. Like ourselves they're unbeaten since the 2019/2020 season resumed. If we manage to reach the Heino final, we could well be facing the Chiefs.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Surprise, surprise!!! In yesterday's match Saracens also had a penalty overturned for sledging after a ruck:

"Fans in uproar as ref mic picks up Jamie George’s foul mouthed verbal tirade on Wasps player"

https://rugbyonslaught.com/fans-in-upro ... ps-player/
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: September 6th, 2020, 10:28 pm Surprise, surprise!!! In yesterday's match Saracens also had a penalty overturned for sledging after a ruck:

"Fans in uproar as ref mic picks up Jamie George’s foul mouthed verbal tirade on Wasps player"

https://rugbyonslaught.com/fans-in-upro ... ps-player/

I can't hear any tirade, foul mouthed or otherwise! Some very mild sledging, at worst. "what are you, a pussycat"? Oh won't somebody think of the children
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wouldn't be surprised if Farrell got the absolute minimum (two week entry point - and are they allowed mitigate below the minimum entry point, they used not be able to, but that is competition dependant I think) - and it wouldn't necessarily be due to shenannigans either.

Firstly Farrell immediately conceded that he committed the offense, accepted the red card without argument and apologised to the player on and off the pitch. Secondly, he has a relatively clean disciplinary record (one proven citing 5 years ago). Thirdly the action itself, he can legitimately defend himself by suggesting that the Wasps players change of direction and subsequent lowering in height was a factor in where the tackle landed.

Personally, I'd go 4 weeks mitigated down to 3 (2 weeks off for the players acceptance of what he did, and provided he behaves himself on zoom, but one week added for the previous citing and pour encourager les autres

If he does get the low entry point, the usual suspects will point to perfidy from albion, but why would the RFU (and through them, the EPRC) want the massive embarrasment of a club they have relegated for misdeeds potentially winning the European Cup? It would make them look ridiculous.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:24 am I wouldn't be surprised if Farrell got the absolute minimum (two week entry point - and are they allowed mitigate below the minimum entry point, they used not be able to, but that is competition dependant I think) - and it wouldn't necessarily be due to shenannigans either.

Firstly Farrell immediately conceded that he committed the offense, accepted the red card without argument and apologised to the player on and off the pitch. Secondly, he has a relatively clean disciplinary record (one proven citing 5 years ago). Thirdly the action itself, he can legitimately defend himself by suggesting that the Wasps players change of direction and subsequent lowering in height was a factor in where the tackle landed.

Personally, I'd go 4 weeks mitigated down to 3 (2 weeks off for the players acceptance of what he did, and provided he behaves himself on zoom, but one week added for the previous citing and pour encourager les autres

If he does get the low entry point, the usual suspects will point to perfidy from albion, but why would the RFU (and through them, the EPRC) want the massive embarrasment of a club they have relegated for misdeeds potentially winning the European Cup? It would make them look ridiculous.
I think he'll be doing very well to argue that's a low-end incident. He fairly clocked him and I don't think the slight dip from the Wasps player changed the outcome all that much. He'll get 3-4 weeks, down from the mid-range entry point of 6.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:29 am He'll get 3-4 weeks, down from the mid-range entry point of 6.
Apologies, I thought the mid-range point was four weeks - so I'd give him 5 weeks. I still think he may get the minimum though, it depends on the mood of chairman of the panel I guess, how much he dislikes Sarries, and how 'tuned-in' he is to the politics of the RFU
I have Bumbleflex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Funny - it's usually the other way around - folk on this side of the pond talking about how he gets the lower end of possibilities and folk in England talking about how he might be out for the internationals
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

The Doc wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:35 am Funny - it's usually the other way around - folk on this side of the pond talking about how he gets the lower end of possibilities and folk in England talking about how he might be out for the internationals
Exactly. I live in England and anyone I've spoken to here are all saying he should be months for anywhere between 3-6 months. Farrell was reckless and out of control. He was never attempting a legal tackle or anything close to one. Swinging arm at shoulder/head height. No way will get away with 4 weeks halved to 2 weeks.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Doc wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:35 am Funny - it's usually the other way around - folk on this side of the pond talking about how he gets the lower end of possibilities and folk in England talking about how he might be out for the internationals
They might talk about it. Be surprised if he was seriously affected for the internationals.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

A very tough player. He has undoubtedly had an ongoing list of high / no arm tackles and arguably the one at the weekend was the worst of them. But I've not see hubris or sneering from him.
I'm really not fond of the whooping and hollering of the Saracens, but by now thats drifted in to the game as a whole. I've not heard about Farell & George sledging. Can you expand on what they were saying? Unless it was of a highly personal nature (about family etc), I'm interested as to what "vicious" means in those terms.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:24 am I wouldn't be surprised if Farrell got the absolute minimum (two week entry point - and are they allowed mitigate below the minimum entry point, they used not be able to, but that is competition dependant I think) - and it wouldn't necessarily be due to shenannigans either.

The last point is well made. Saracens winning the Champions Cup would be a massive Fock you from a team that cheated to achieve their success.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us