Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Wanderers FC
Beginner

Re: Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

Post by Wanderers FC »

BlueWheels wrote: September 7th, 2020, 5:44 pm Bit surprised no-one has even mentioned Maxi in all the squads that have been suggested, he's worth his place on the bench at least.
Edit
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Thank god for TG4, listening to commentary I can just about follow as gaeilge is better than 80 mins of F!cking Toland in English
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

curates_egg wrote: September 7th, 2020, 4:22 pm
blockhead wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:40 pm Saturday is the Pro14 final.
We've lost to Munster and Connacht in Pro14 finals, don't want particular grand slam.
We've never lost to Ulster though. And beat them in 2013, which was the last time they made a final.
We've also beaten Munster in the final. So, only Connacht have a 100% winning record over us in finals :wink:
Ahh, but in 2006, in the last game of the season away to Ospreys, David Humphreys kicked a 40-metre drop goal just two minutes from time to win the league title for the first and last time in Ulster's history. They pipped Leinster by a point. Leinster won 31-8 away to Edinburgh that same day. Dr. Phil played that day. Toner and K1 on the bench! 14 years ago, holy jaysus.
REVENGE.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

"They are a very dangerous team and it's not only taking a lesson of what we've seen this weekend from Ulster," Contepomi replied when asked what that 22-19 win had taught him.

The Leinster backs coach added, "I think they've been building into one of the best teams, definitely in the competition, and one of the best in Europe for the last couple of years.

"We've taken lessons from them in the quarter-final last year in the Heineken Champions Cup, we've taken lessons on two weeks ago when we played them.

"We are always taking lessons on them because they are a very dangerous team.

"And what they've done at the weekend - they're only the second team to win a semi-final away from home, and that speaks huge [sic] of them.

"And the way they won it, I'm sure they are in great confidence. They are building something special themselves."

Contepomi also praised Madigan for keeping his cool with the late conversion and penalty, saying, "That's what also experience does.

"That's the depth that you can talk of [with] Ulster. They are a very good side with a lot of depth, and people can come in and nail the kicks to take them to a final, and good on him."
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: September 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm This is what the dude on Twitter who has the early scoop on the team for the last few weeks is saying we're going with.

It's @LimitedBall for anyone wanting to follow. He has been bang on for Munster & Ulster games in fairness. Make of that what you will.

(I would at least imagine Lowe will be on the left not right wing, but otherwise it seems plausible.
Even that wing selection is plausible as Lowe might definitely do a better job of minding Jacob whilst Hugo kept the quick feet of Lyttle in check.

The omission of Sexton is also credible because of Byrne's performance last time these teams met. Leo and Stuart have consistently picked 'horses for courses'. Selection is art & science combined. The Leinster team outlined above can play a brand od positive rugby than Ulster will find difficult to contain. This will be a game we will try to clearly win, rather than merely ensuring we don't lose. That selection could do just that.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

In fairness Johnny has had two full on encounters with Munster and they probably don’t want to risk him especially when he will want to play the sarries game.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 7th, 2020, 10:47 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm This is what the dude on Twitter who has the early scoop on the team for the last few weeks is saying we're going with.

It's @LimitedBall for anyone wanting to follow. He has been bang on for Munster & Ulster games in fairness. Make of that what you will.

(I would at least imagine Lowe will be on the left not right wing, but otherwise it seems plausible.
Even that wing selection is plausible as Lowe might definitely do a better job of minding Jacob whilst Hugo kept the quick feet of Lyttle in check.

The omission of Sexton is also credible because of Byrne's performance last time these teams met. Leo and Stuart have consistently picked 'horses for courses'. Selection is art & science combined. The Leinster team outlined above can play a brand od positive rugby than Ulster will find difficult to contain. This will be a game we will try to clearly win, rather than merely ensuring we don't lose. That selection could do just that.
Would rather put kelleher on left wing or even right wing and keep Lowe at 11. Big call for fb but would like to see larmour or Keenan there. Byrne on at 50 for Healy. Cant see tadhg getting any minutes again so he may well be out of the qf. Otherwise it's a good balanced and in form line up.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 7th, 2020, 10:47 pm

It will also put Sexton on the pitch for the last 20-25 minutes, as per last year's semi-final against Munster.
Serb
Mullet

Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

Post by Serb »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Even that wing selection is plausible as Lowe might definitely do a better job of minding Jacob whilst Hugo kept the quick feet of Lyttle in check.
That same source had the wingers flipped for the team that faced Munster too, I’d say it will be Lowe at 11 and a Keenan at 14 if that team is correct.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

J Lowe and Larmour sat out training. For Larmour, it's normal. I wonder what Lowe's issue is though?
As per the reflection on him playing right wing, he's never played at 14 for us and, given how long it took for him to adjust to defending in our system on the left, I really would be surprised to see him switch there for a final...if he is fit.

No sign of Furlong at all.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

curates_egg wrote: September 8th, 2020, 11:33 am J Lowe and Larmour sat out training. For Larmour, it's normal. I wonder what Lowe's issue is though?
As per the reflection on him playing right wing, he's never played at 14 for us and, given how long it took for him to adjust to defending in our system on the left, I really would be surprised to see him switch there for a final...if he is fit.

No sign of Furlong at all.
Doesn't Lowe have some sort of arthritic condition that needs managing? Might that be it?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brenno wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:25 pm Thank god for TG4, listening to commentary I can just about follow as gaeilge is better than 80 mins of F!cking Toland in English
You're not wrong.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Andrew Brace to ref Pro 14 final.
Frank Murphy and George Clancy have been appointed as assistant referees with Brian MacNiece fulfilling the role of Television Match Official.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: September 8th, 2020, 8:35 pm With 182 cases of Covid announced in Dublin today, I wonder if a lockdown might be imminent, thus putting a big spanner in the works for this and other matches.
We'll just use our D4 exemptions.Simple.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Shouldn’t Murphy be isolating himself?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 8th, 2020, 3:37 pm Andrew Brace to ref Pro 14 final.
Frank Murphy and George Clancy have been appointed as assistant referees with Brian MacNiece fulfilling the role of Television Match Official.
How come Nigel didn't get the gig? Somebody know something?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

blockhead wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:49 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 8th, 2020, 3:37 pm Andrew Brace to ref Pro 14 final.
Probably due to their being a neutral ref already living in the jurisdiction the game is going to be played
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Theleinsterlad wrote: September 8th, 2020, 10:07 pm
blockhead wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Probably due to their being a neutral ref already living in the jurisdiction the game is going to be played
Neutral? Sure they'll be all driving up together from Limerick on Saturday morning. :wink:
But yeah, you're probably right.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

On radio this morning saying Rumour going around Leinster will rest McGrath and Sexton this week for sarries game. Personally I would much prefer to see Gibson park rested for sarries game as Luke is making way too many silly errors a present - losing territory to wayward box kicks out on the full would be disastrous vs team like sarries to capitalise on
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Madser
“Before I hit the kick, Al O’Connor was captain and he told me he loved me which was a nice touch. I only know him a couple of weeks.”
We should do this more often on here, tell another poster that we love them.