Benetton v. Leinster, Sat 10 Oct, 1715hrs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Benetton v. Leinster, Sat 10 Oct, 1715hrs

Post by Cianostays »

I found that we were trying to offload more than usual. I wonder is this our way of compensating for the fact that our regular phase building style will be tougher under the stricter ruck interpretation in place now?

Very good result to pick a bp whilst trying to evolve our style.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Cianostays wrote: October 10th, 2020, 11:06 pm I found that we were trying to offload more than usual. I wonder is this our way of compensating for the fact that our regular phase building style will be tougher under the stricter ruck interpretation in place now?

Very good result to pick a bp whilst trying to evolve our style.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
I would imagine you've hit the nail on the head there. Very sensible adaptation to a misguided change in the rule interpretation. If done well, the offloading style also means scores come with less effort, and less need to dominate possession.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It was frustrating refereeing. Why spend so long looking at whether Conan knocked on and then award a penalty try anyway.

Whitehouse also called our back line offside from a driven maul at a line out. If you are going to be that fussy then at least call them. On about 47 minutes on their own 5m they charged up so early that they were ahead of the ball when the line out ended and they had to stop running. Nothing called.

He also started to warn us 1st penalty after Ryan’s card.

About 41 minutes he warns Tracey for a soft hit with a lecture about not being born yesterday. He hadn’t even called set in the scrum.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote: October 10th, 2020, 10:59 pm I’m watching the buaicphointí on TG4 now. Yeah their glee isn't well concealed. "WE HAVE A GAME NOW!""THIS IS INTERESTING!" Etc

I thought they were showing the whole match actually. If anyone knows of the full game being available anywhere then hit a brotha up.

Those injuries to Larmour and Deegan in successive weeks are a real downer.
Ná bí mar sin. Our cairde rugby in Baile na hAbhann acknowledge Leinster as the standard bearers of Irish rugby. I've been watching Rugbaí Beo since it started; it encouraged me and helped me get my own gaeilge back up to speed. The Weshties in TG4 don't have a chip on their shoulder, IMO. They've never begrudged us our success (unlike some others...). They just like seeing the opposition put up a fight and not just roll over. Their loyalties are with Connacht - no one can deny that - and sure why not: they're their local team!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Treviso fought hard last few 6 minutes looking for the double bonus point. Good side, made us work for that.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

It was a frustrating match where we never quite established continuity (not helped by a thought day in the office for the ref). Benetton were awkward but far from their best. Hard to comment on the scrum as it was a mess, the lineout went well but there will be some concern over the maul.
I think Ross Byrne (no idea how he was awarded ‘Best Player’ or whatever it’s called nowadays) is too static when he takes the ball, the 3/4s is too flat resulting in a lateral passing game where our wide men, too often, are tackle targets for a rush D.
There were a lot of silly dropped balls and turnovers; 5 dropped balls between E Byrne and J Ryan alone - reminds me of the anecdote about Joe telling Drico “great players catch those”.
I thought the backrow was benign, for me Dorris isn’t a 6 and when Rhys came in you could see what a genuine 6 does.
Watching the Bledisloe, both sides are lethal off turnover ball; I’ve never understood why Irish sides, particularly the back three, can’t counter as a unit. Lowe and JGP (I thought he had a really good game) just seem more mentally attuned to running trail lines and knowing where the support runner is.
I definitely noted more of an emphasis on offloading and it will be interesting to see this evolve throughout the season.
All told good to get five points against a tricky BT side. Fingers crossed for Larmour.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In fairness, Benetton are a renowned mauling team and clearly set up their pack for that.

I would totally agree on Rhys. For me he's our starting 6.

Thought Keenan was really good too. Very assured.

Anyone have any stats on our offload numbers? I see ESPN aren't doing stats for Pro14 any more.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I’ve previously said on here that Doris should be a 6 but I must admit that Rhys stepped it up a level when he came on.

Rhys really is a seriously high-quality player.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

wixfjord wrote:Anyone have any stats on our offload numbers? I see ESPN aren't doing stats for Pro14 any more.
Ultimate Rugby has us down for 8 offloads total, two from Keenan, and one for Doris, Henshaw, JGP, Ryan, Baird and Connors. No idea where they get their stats from however.

For comparison, we had 12 offloads vs Dragons, 3 vs Saracens, 4 vs Ulster (final), 4 vs Munster (semi-final), 1 vs Ulster in the regular pro 14 game and 2 vs Munster in the first game of the restarted season.

Looks like we are trending towards more offloads anyway.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Mods please move/delete as you see fit, but is acrossthetasman.com down? Missed the second half.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

John23 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 10:15 pm Mods please move/delete as you see fit, but is acrossthetasman.com down? Missed the second half.
Its up, and the SD version of the game is on it
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Thank you kindly

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”