Zebre at home, 23 Oct. 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Zebre at home, 23 Oct. 19:35

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leo on Leavy
As Leinster head coach Cullen welcomed Leavy’s return tomorrow, he did point out that it will take time for the back row star to find his feet again.

“We’ve had to wait a long while to get to this point but huge credit to him,” said Cullen. “As we saw at the time, it was a nasty injury. All the medical team, especially Karl Denver [Leinster's senior physiotherapist], worked so hard to get him back to this point but he did the work so huge credit to him and hopefully he will get some action.

“It will be great to see him get some action and take another step.

“People need to be patient and have realistic expectations. It was March of 2019 when he got the injury so we have to be realistic. He is still a quality player with a big personality. He needs to find his rhythm.

“The last game he played was in front of 52,000 people in the Aviva and this is an RDS with no crowd, so it may feel like a training environment, so we’ll see how it goes.

“There has been the odd setback. Hopefully, he hits the pitch of it and hopefully he’ll go well.”

"We don’t have a major plan for his future, we’ve a long turnaround to Glasgow on Monday week so we’ll just wait to see how everyone pulls through this week."
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Ah that's excellent news about Leavy. Good strong pack also. Puzzled at no Cian Kelleher in the squad.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

joooooe wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 3:16 pm
cormac wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 1:04 pm Big Dev's 250th appearance
That is an outstanding achievement. Just 7 behind D'Arcy now. FWIW, he has 70 Ireland caps to Gordon's 82 (+1 Lions cap).

250 caps in such an attritional game, while having his game time managed, is actually incredible.
I have D'Arcy on 258 Leinster appearances, so Devin still 8 off the top spot. Leinster seem to think that Matt D'Arcy started at centre in the last game of the league in 06/07 away to Cardiff but it was clearly Gordon who actually played.

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/247794/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Strange to see Leavy at 23. Have a weird feeling he might not get off the bench.

I think I would have preferred to see a back 3 option at 23. I think Aaron O’Sullivan and Silvester are off playing 7s which is not great in itself as they’re both third year academy players without a single involvement in the senior team. Maybe Andrew Smith or Cian Kelleher if he’s fit?

Anyway, that’s the team, and lots of positives in other areas, just would like to see a bit more movement on our back 3 options alongside scrum half options.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Silvester isn't playing 7's, was training with seniors during the week. O'Sullivan is with 7's.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

A rugby journalist has said to me that Leavy isn’t right after 19 months and Is very unlikely to make it all the way back as a player capable of playing week-in, week-out.

I hope he is very wrong.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm A rugby journalist has said to me that Leavy isn’t right after 19 months and Is very unlikely to make it all the way back as a player capable of playing week-in, week-out.

I hope he is very wrong.
thankfully rugby journalists aren't medical experts.

given the nature of his injury, 18 months is hardly a surprise, while also acknowledging that leavy returning to being a lions level openside is also unlikely.

But it's all speculation, he has done the hardest part.. let's see what happens.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Agreed. Only time will tell. But as you know, national rugby journalists have their ear to the ground and this perspective was offered to me privately. The journalist has not written to this effect.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

backrower8 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:25 pm Agreed. Only time will tell. But as you know, national rugby journalists have their ear to the ground and this perspective was offered to me privately. The journalist has not written to this effect.
Seeing as it's private, make sure you don't put it on the internet whatever you do :roll:
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Around this time 12 years ago the word on the street was that Gordon D'Arcy would never play again, so let's hope this is like that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Match program for tomorrows game folks

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... v-zebre-rc
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

backrower8 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm A rugby journalist has said to me that Leavy isn’t right after 19 months and Is very unlikely to make it all the way back as a player capable of playing week-in, week-out.

I hope he is very wrong.
Well if the Journo is Not ( Munstercentric) Murray Kinsella - I wouldnt pay much attention . Ive given up on any of the others at this stage... and unfortunately Kinsella devotes most of his energies down south.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I hope he is very wrong.
Probably just a whiff of cordite.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

deco wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm
backrower8 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:25 pm Agreed. Only time will tell. But as you know, national rugby journalists have their ear to the ground and this perspective was offered to me privately. The journalist has not written to this effect.
Seeing as it's private, make sure you don't put it on the internet whatever you do :roll:
:clap:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The privacy obviously (for the over 12s here) relates to the journalist’s identity. Which hasn’t been posted on t’internet. It’s a view he has formed with his ear to the ground, but has chosen not to write about, for whatever reason but most of which we could surmise ourselves.

The medics obviously don’t agree with his viewpoint otherwise, as professionals, they would call time and Leinster would not select him.

Fingers crossed.
Serb
Mullet

Zebre at home, 23 Oct. 19:35

Post by Serb »

This is all pure nonsense. What would this journalist even write? Have we ever had an article like it?

A man has suffered a pretty catastrophic injury from an elite sporting perspective. Of course there’s a chance the recovery won’t work out. We don’t need some journalist who, realistically knows nothing more about it than we do, spouting some doomsday shíte about a person’s career.

Let’s see what actually happens over the next few weeks and months rather than speculating about it and acting like we know something that we don’t.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 8:10 pm Around this time 12 years ago the word on the street was that Gordon D'Arcy would never play again, so let's hope this is like that.
You don't even need to go back that far.
I was reliably assured by two third-hand sources that Sexton was advised to give up the game that first season in Racing, and would be doing so.
Now it looks like they'll have to drag him away from the game, kicking and screaming.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Serb wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 10:20 pm This is all pure nonsense. What would this journalist even write? Have we ever had an article like it?

A man has suffered a pretty catastrophic injury from an elite sporting perspective. Of course there’s a chance the recovery won’t work out. We don’t need some journalist who, realistically knows nothing more about it than we do, spouting some doomsday shíte about a person’s career.

Let’s see what actually happens over the next few weeks and months rather than speculating about it and acting like we know something that we don’t.
What are you, a retired censor? This whole forum is driven by rumoje, speculation, subjective opinion and debate. We may as well shut the whole thing down if your logic applies.

A national journalist with his ear to the ground believes that the tide has gone out for Leavy and that he and Leinster are going through the last motions as the light fades on his career. We will see. But it’s a perspective worth sharing here in this hotbed of discussion and not one I have seen anywhere else.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, CK & ROL have minor niggles and there are a few outside backs who are frustrated that Dan got the #23 shirt this week. Fact. You’ll probably diss this as well but that’s your prerogative as it is mine to share insight and rumour.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 8:07 am
Serb wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 10:20 pm This is all pure nonsense. What would this journalist even write? Have we ever had an article like it?

What are you, a retired censor? This whole forum is driven by rumoje, speculation, subjective opinion and debate. We may as well shut the whole thing down if your logic applies.

A national journalist with his ear to the ground believes that the tide has gone out for Leavy and that he and Leinster are going through the last motions as the light fades on his career. We will see. But it’s a perspective worth sharing here in this hotbed of discussion and not one I have seen anywhere else.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, CK & ROL have minor niggles and there are a few outside backs who are frustrated that Dan got the #23 shirt this week. Fact. You’ll probably diss this as well but that’s your prerogative as it is mine to share insight and rumour.
thats hardly surprising.. player not selected, frustrated to not be selected.

not sure any of the academy outside backs have much to complain about.
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere so apologies if it has been but this game is live on TG4.