A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

alanair
Mullet

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by alanair »

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 18th, 2020, 8:36 pm
johng wrote: November 18th, 2020, 8:32 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: November 18th, 2020, 6:08 pmlieing sack of sh!t heading down to Munster.
Did he shag yer burd?
Totes
TBH ... i really dont rate him that highly ( and hes getting very little gametime @ the ‘nips ... so they mustn’t rate him either )
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

HOS has 24 Leinster caps, 4 this season. The coaches see a lot more of him and they have a pretty good track record.

They’re giving a lot of guys a lot of chances, Osbourne gets one tomorrow. Leo has always mixed new players in with experience, it’s a winning formula. Picking the youngest possible team isn’t. If HOS plays better he will get more chances.

Complaining about Harry Byrne getting too many opportunities during an international window, with only 15 caps, is something I find odd.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

ronk wrote: November 21st, 2020, 11:56 pm HOS has 24 Leinster caps, 4 this season. The coaches see a lot more of him and they have a pretty good track record.

They’re giving a lot of guys a lot of chances, Osbourne gets one tomorrow. Leo has always mixed new players in with experience, it’s a winning formula. Picking the youngest possible team isn’t. If HOS plays better he will get more chances.

Complaining about Harry Byrne getting too many opportunities during an international window, with only 15 caps, is something I find odd.
Coming on as a sub isn’t really getting a good chance tho is it, it’s completely different starting a game to finishing a game when you’re already up by 50 points
Maybe because Byrne started nearly every game this season and this game would of been the perfect game to give Hawkshaw the 10 jersey, do you think he deserves an opportunity at 10?
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

ronk wrote: November 21st, 2020, 11:56 pm HOS has 24 Leinster caps, 4 this season. The coaches see a lot more of him and they have a pretty good track record.

Also by the way just out of curiosity where do you think HOS needs to improve his game for him to be given a chance starting at 9?
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Don’t know how you can still justify starting the same team every week when you’re hammering the opponents by 50+ points would be nice to see some new guys get an opportunity starting that’s all I’m saying.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

And I’m not saying pick the youngest possible team I’m saying rotate one or two players out with guys who haven’t started a game this season to see what they’re like and of course have the rest of the team with experienced players and experienced leaders that can help them. Would just like to see other guys get an opportunity starting who haven’t started a game this season whether that be HOS, Osborne, Hawkshaw or Silvester just one or two of those players starting with the rest of the team being really experienced wouldn’t do any harm
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:20 am And I’m not saying pick the youngest possible team I’m saying rotate one or two players out with guys who haven’t started a game this season to see what they’re like and of course have the rest of the team with experienced players and experienced leaders that can help them. Would just like to see other guys get an opportunity starting who haven’t started a game this season whether that be HOS, Osborne, Hawkshaw or Silvester just one or two of those players starting with the rest of the team being really experienced wouldn’t do any harm
Hawkshaw made his debut this month after a very long injury lay-off and has made 3 appearances already. He’s been rotated out for this game for Silvester. With a 6-2 split Silvester and Hawkshaw can’t both make the bench. There are 4 academy players in the 23 along with 4 early graduates from this summer. Would be all 5 but TOB is injured. This isn’t picking the same team every week.

Hawkshaw will get more chances, but right now we have a chance to build with Byrne at outhalf, Frawley at 12 and JOB at fullback.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

ronk wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:23 am
Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:20 am And I’m not saying pick the youngest possible team I’m saying rotate one or two players out with guys who haven’t started a game this season to see what they’re like and of course have the rest of the team with experienced players and experienced leaders that can help them. Would just like to see other guys get an opportunity starting who haven’t started a game this season whether that be HOS, Osborne, Hawkshaw or Silvester just one or two of those players starting with the rest of the team being really experienced wouldn’t do any harm
Hawkshaw made his debut this month after a very long injury lay-off and has made 3 appearances already. He’s been rotated out for this game for Silvester. With a 6-2 split Silvester and Hawkshaw can’t both make the bench. There are 4 academy players in the 23 along with 4 early graduates from this summer. Would be all 5 but TOB is injured. This isn’t picking the same team every week.

Hawkshaw will get more chances, but right now we have a chance to build with Byrne at outhalf, Frawley at 12 and JOB at fullback.
Fair I understand where you’re coming from would just like to see Hawkshaw start a game at 10 because he’s always been the better player than H Byrne until his bad injury.Harry has really kicked on since Hawkshaws injury but would be great to see Hawkshaw back at his best which is why I wanna see him getting a run at 10. Just think he’s an exciting prospect but guess we’ll have to wait for his time to start.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OTT wrote: November 21st, 2020, 7:04 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:43 pm
OTT wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:28 pm

Because our first choice Furlong is injured
Our second choice Porter is with Ireland
Our 4th choice Abdeladze is injured
Our 5th choice Salanoa is with Munster
Our 6th choice Aungier is with Connacht
Our 7th choice Parker is injured
And our 8th choice Clarkson is a 20 year old getting game time off the bench because he’s been thrown in at the deep end.

(change around your ranking as you see fit)

Wouldn’t mind seeing Clarkson getting a start personally but him getting 20-30mins off the bench every other week is still good going at his age.
Fair enough, I was just thinking that Leinster have enough if a cushion at this stage to start experimenting a bit.

Given that 2 of those are no longer on the books, and Parker is a short term signing. it would probably be a good idea to try accelerate someone’s development, or look at a more permanent replacement for the 2 lads that have left?

Bent hasn’t too many seasons left, and Furlong and Porter are likely to be on the missing list for much of the next 8-number of seasons.
To be fair I think they were planning having at least one more of those players on the list so they didn’t have that much time to find a replacement :lol: Doubt there’s much in the kitty either. Parker has looked decent in what I’ve seen so far.

As I said I would probably give Clarkson a start but I’m not that worried either. Bent is our 3rd choice who does a fantastic job for us, our two first choices our international quality and younger Porter 24 Furlong 28. We can afford to try and not force a progression on Clarkson (well actually we are one injury away in reality at the minute) because Bent is so reliable, if Bent was our first choice and we didn’t have Porter and Furlong I could see why we might need to try and push through Clarkson but At the minute I’d say he’s ahead of where most 20 year old tight heads are in terms of senior rugby.
Yes, I fully understand that the plan was to have one of the 2 that left available for selection, but even before the season started it was clear that that was not the case.

My point, and you have said it above, is that Leinster are now 1 injury away from having Clarkson as first choice with no experience, and no option on the bench.

I was just curious to know if any of you knew why Leinster do not seem to be addressing this issue. Even when Furlong returns from injury, he is unlikely to be available for much of the season.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leinster signed Parker to manage in the short term. We lost a prop so it was a good idea, it’s just that he was the prop who went down.

If Vak isn’t coming back soon we probably need to sign someone or extend Parker.

But we have 1 more week to manage before we get Porter back which brings us through to 2021. If someone gets injured we may need to dig deeper/sign someone. If Furlong comes back next month then we can rotate more freely.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am
Yes, I fully understand that the plan was to have one of the 2 that left available for selection, but even before the season started it was clear that that was not the case.

My point, and you have said it above, is that Leinster are now 1 injury away from having Clarkson as first choice with no experience, and no option on the bench.

I was just curious to know if any of you knew why Leinster do not seem to be addressing this issue. Even when Furlong returns from injury, he is unlikely to be available for much of the season.
The worst thing you can do for a young tighthead is to overplay them before they're physically ready for it. He's 20!

If Bent gets injured, we'll bring in a club level tighthead and start him and continue to give the 20 year old tighthead the bench option. Anything else is risking his whole career for no good reason.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:44 am
ronk wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:23 am

Fair I understand where you’re coming from would just like to see Hawkshaw start a game at 10 because he’s always been the better player than H Byrne until his bad injury.Harry has really kicked on since Hawkshaws injury but would be great to see Hawkshaw back at his best which is why I wanna see him getting a run at 10. Just think he’s an exciting prospect but guess we’ll have to wait for his time to start.
Having watched Hawkshaw guide Belvo to two SC victories, I too thought was looking forward to him become Leinster's NEXT BIG THING at outhalf. Injury however got in the way. Whether Hawkshaw was "always" better than Harry is debatable. When they were in the Ireland u20s together Noel McNamara had Harry at 10 and Hawkshaw at 12. At the time I didn't understand it. In the meantime watching HB play and develop I think McNamara was right. Harry Byrne is an amazing prospect, who is currently playing brilliantly and is IMO the heir apparent to the 10 jersey in blue and green. I have every faith in Leo Cullen and the rest of the Leinster coaching staff, that both young men will get every opportunity to fulfill their undoubted potential as players.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Hawkshaw won’t make it as a top flight 10 but could be a decent 12. HOS is not good enough to even make it at Pro 1X level. Beyond Luke and JGP (neither of whom are world beaters) we have nothing at scrum half. It’s been addressed elsewhere on this forum but Leinster doesn’t produce 9s for some strange reason.
Today will be another routine 30 points plus victory. Hopefully the likes of J O’Brien, Frawley and H Byrne can continue their development while in the pack the focus will be on Baird and Leavy’s rehabilitation.
It has been good to field a settled side over the course of the league to date and offers the chance to develop a consistent game plan which will be important as we face into Europe without any matches for the internationals to reacclimatize.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:42 am But we have 1 more week to manage before we get Porter back which brings us through to 2021.
2 weeks. There is a game in Lansdowne Rd on the 5th of December. Although Leinster have no game that week so perhaps that's how you meant it
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Marcus Hanan, Charlie Ryan, Hugh O'Sullivan and David Hawkshaw extra squad players at game today.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm Marcus Hanan, Charlie Ryan, Hugh O'Sullivan and David Hawkshaw extra squad players at game today.
Mad the way there’s a sub academy player in the travelling squad, never heard of that before
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Do you think Hanan could make his debut this season due to injuries?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Not 100% but I think Hanan has an academy contract now.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on November 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Pilotman123 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:11 pm Do you think Hanan could make his debut this season due to injuries?
certainly possible given injury situation.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Now that was quick.