Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by deco »

munster#1 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 9:33 pm Such a shame to see the match postponed.
Obviously from a serious point of view, it is terrible to hear of anyone contracting this virus, and I hope the effected players and their families are safe and well.

But, I have really enjoyed watching Munster over the last few weeks, and the prospect of a weekend without a game is annoying.

It will be interesting to see how this match gets rescheduled, the season is already fairly stacked.
Watch the Leinster game instead and pick your fantasy league player's for next season.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Another win for the red army, and with an all important BP this time.

Munster were a lot less clinical than they should have been, and left a few opportunities behind.
A better team would have punished Munster for this, so hopefully they manage to find that killer edge before the HC comes to town.

Yet another great display from Coombes, he is really turning into a formidable prospect.
With himself and JOD putting their hands up while POM and Stander are away, it has meant that there has been not let up.
Unfortunately Hodnetts injury means that we will have to wait and see if he can make the 7 jersey his own.

I was very impressed with Gallaghers appearance at fullback a couple of weeks ago, but a little underwhelmed by his display today.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

In a 5 to 10 minute period Coombes carried 3 defenders over the line to score a try, stole an Ospreys lineout, made a big break up the pitch after an Ospreys kick off and push a few Ospreys off their own breakdown. When himself and Fineen went off it was noticeable how Ospreys got on top in the mauls and scrums. I can see him being called up to the ireland squad next year.

Gallagher doesn't look very comfortable on the wing. I think he lacks a bit of pace but he has good footwork.
Healy had another good game.

Disappointing lack of killer instinct shown in the last 25 min. They settled for the win then. Leinster and even Ulster would have kicked on and gone after more tries.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

dropkick wrote: November 17th, 2020, 10:43 pm Disappointing lack of killer instinct shown in the last 25 min. They settled for the win then. Leinster and even Ulster would have kicked on and gone after more tries.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. When the internationals are away there is a bigger drop off than normal and the effect of making substitutes is particularly noticeable, barring Kellehers try at the end of the match v Edinburgh, Leinster went 30 mins without registering a point (albeit the match was won).
Ospreys v Leinster- last 24 mins of the match 0 points.
Glasgow v Leinster - Last 27 mins of the match 0 points.

Munster had done enough
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Wouldn’t agree about Ulster either , that has been one of their weaknesses, in that they rattle up the four tries for the bonus point but fail as they say to put the boot in. They have in the past tended to congratulate themselves and relax. This week against Zebre we saw signs that they have realised that there points difference is important and not just the league points.
Remember that there is only a four points difference at the top of the league and I think that Liensters last defeat in the league was at the Kingspan.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great to hear that Liam O Connor is on the mend and back training.
I have always rated him highly, but he has had a number of untimely injuries.
I would love to see him have an injury free run of games to see if he can progress.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Is Knox injured at the moment?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 2:52 pm Is Knox injured at the moment?
Not that I’m aware of. He was injured at the start of the season, but played the game before last.

Did you hear something?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Knox pictured training.
https://inpho.ie/assignment/MrTqekERrlN ... JsMK0yw..a

James French is also back training. I wonder will they switch him back to loose head.

Academy hooker Scott Buckley looks a bit of a unit. Made an impact against Connacht A a few months ago.

JJ wasn't training so he must be doubtful for the trip to Glasgow.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I didn't hear anything, More I am surprised that Knox isn't being used more than he is. The man is a serious unit he should be given the gametime to show how good he is.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm I didn't hear anything, More I am surprised that Knox isn't being used more than he is. The man is a serious unit he should be given the gametime to show how good he is.
I agree, hopefully we get to see Knox get some more gametime over the course of the season.

At the moment he is fighting it out with Salanoa for the 3rd choice TH role. Given the attritional nature of the TH position, there is a chance that either himself or Salanoa will find themselves playing HC rugby by seasons end.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster team to play Glasgow.

This should be a good test for this team.
Looking forward to seeing that backrow, especially seeing Fineen play at 6, where I think his long term position might be.
Good to see a reasonably strong team around the half back pairing of Healy and Casey, hopefully that can offer them a good platform to display their wares.

Good strong bench, which should offer plenty of impact. Hopefully we get to see the 2 young props get on early.

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Rory Scannell, Damian de Allende, Matt Gallagher; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; James Cronin, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Sullivan, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

How's Cronin playing these days? I always rated him. Surprised he's not in the mix as a replacement to Healy internationally. Maybe the drug thing has blotted his copy book.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:51 pm How's Cronin playing these days? I always rated him. Surprised he's not in the mix as a replacement to Healy internationally. Maybe the drug thing has blotted his copy book.
IMO Cronin has been very good. The Munster scrum has been very solid when he has played, and although not at killers level in open play, he has been very good. Makes a real nuisance of himself at the breakdown, with a good number of turnovers to his name.

I think he had always been one of those players whose face didn’t fit in the Irish camp.

He is a player that I really like, because he is a complete gent off of the field. On 2 occasions he has went out of his way to come over and chat with my kids, which was a massive deal for them, and went a long way to getting my youngest daughter hooked on going to games.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Thought the scoring pass for Glasgow’s first try was forward.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

JohnB wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:44 pm Thought the scoring pass for Glasgow’s first try was forward.
Pretty marginal tbf. Glasgow deserved a try in that half for some of their play.
Dont Panic!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

JohnB wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:44 pm Thought the scoring pass for Glasgow’s first try was forward.
Looked forward alright, but I do like when a ref makes a call and sticks with it.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

That was the second time Ioane targeted Casey off the ball, great to see Coombes coming in like that and not taking the shite.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

*** Edited by mod ***
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Absolutely brilliant to come away with a BP win away to Glasgow, especially given the conditions.
Again the most impressive part was that Munster played to the end, getting the fourth try just before full time.

Casey was immense yet again, and as mentioned by Darce, it is a shame that he won’t be called into the Irish squad for the match against Georgia.

Healy was very good around the park, but he did make a few uncharacteristic errors with the boot, but given the conditions, I will forgive him.

Coombes yet again puts in a motm performance, he has been unbelievably over the last few weeks.

A big shout out has to go to KOB, despite the conditions, he still ensured that the lineout was solid. He must be the best lineout thrower in Ireland at the moment.

I was however, very disappointed with the ref, he was very poor for both sides, and really effected the pace of the game. The sending off of Holland was a farce, even more of a farce is that he didn’t send off a Munster player earlier, and award Glasgow a penalty try.