EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: EUROPEAN CUP R1: Montpellier Away, 12/12, 6.30pm

Post by riocard911 »

I too am not majorly concerned, but I am concerned about our Ireland int'ls coming back to Leinster low on confidence. I can imagine there being one or other case, where lads who've been tearing things up in blue in the last few weeks will retain their places vs Montpellier ahead of national team returnees - Rhys Ruddock and Dan Leavy being the most likely candidates.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leavy's form has been patchy.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:59 pm I too am not majorly concerned, but I am concerned about our Ireland int'ls coming back to Leinster low on confidence. I can imagine there being one or other case, where lads who've been tearing things up in blue in the last few weeks will retain their places vs Montpellier ahead of national team returnees - Rhys Ruddock and Dan Leavy being the most likely candidates.
Agree with that. Players used to come back from Schmidt's camps razor sharp and having learnt something and developed the concern now is the negative impact. Can't see anyone dropping Ruddock but I'm glad I'm not picking the backrow!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:24 pm
riocard911 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:59 pm I too am not majorly concerned, but I am concerned about our Ireland int'ls coming back to Leinster low on confidence. I can imagine there being one or other case, where lads who've been tearing things up in blue in the last few weeks will retain their places vs Montpellier ahead of national team returnees - Rhys Ruddock and Dan Leavy being the most likely candidates.
Agree with that. Players used to come back from Schmidt's camps razor sharp and having learnt something and developed the concern now is the negative impact. Can't see anyone dropping Ruddock but I'm glad I'm not picking the backrow!
Really early to be calling that in general.

Specifically in a few positions it will be tougher. van der Flier could be down in confidence but he could be fresh and raring to go. Connors will be happy and it’s hard to know how close Leavy is right now, especially with one less game to comeback. I could see him benching though.

That would point to a backrow of Ruddock, Doris and Connors/vdF with Leavy on the bench. Conan’s injury has removed the worst of the selection headache.

Dooley-Byrne is another call where an early season injury set Byrne ahead but Dooley hit form with game time and then Byrne got injured. But it’s also the sort of call that is within normal scope of rotation, even for HC group games.

Park vs McGrath is probably the main one. The situation has changed but it’s not a new contest.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Jonny and Robbie back in full training with Ireland, hopefully Ringer is back for next week too.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Ed Byrne and Connors out as well, at least for this week. If they're not fit next week it'll remove some of the selection headaches.

Great to see Henshaw back, if Ringrose isn't back in time I'd like to see us try a 12. Frawley 13. Henshaw partnership.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Backrow of VDF and Doris and Ruddock looks right with Leavy benching. Connors fine too and you could make a case for Penney on the bench as well. Good problems.

Hopefully Ringers is back and would be tempted to start Luke, has been good recently.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Montpellier beat Clermont yesterday, Friday, December 4, in Clermont 15-21. They'll be going with momentum into this match. Hopefully our Ireland int'ls can stock up on some of that later today vs Scotland, as I think they're going to need it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looks like no Johnny for next week anyway. Minor enough but I'd say it'll keep him out.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Yeah, Ross Byrne to start next week. Will Harry make the bench or will we bench Frawley at 22? Hope Harry is in the squad.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: December 5th, 2020, 3:51 pm Yeah, Ross Byrne to start next week. Will Harry make the bench or will we bench Frawley at 22? Hope Harry is in the squad.
Every Leinster player is in the squad - no squad size limit this year
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Team for next week for me:

Healy, Tracy, Porter, Ryan, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Doris, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Frawley, Henshaw, DK, Keenan,
Kelleher, Dooley, Bent, Baird, Leavy, Fardy, JGP, JOB

Assuming Lowe is fit and Ringer isn't.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A dead leg for Johnny according to Johnny, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.
I have Bumbleflex
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Serb wrote: December 5th, 2020, 3:51 pm Yeah, Ross Byrne to start next week. Will Harry make the bench or will we bench Frawley at 22? Hope Harry is in the squad.
Every Leinster player is in the squad - no squad size limit this year
Right, I guess I wasn’t clear — I meant in the match day 23. Would be nice to see Harry Byrne and Penny get selected to step up to the next level.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:10 pm Right, I guess I wasn’t clear — I meant in the match day 23. Would be nice to see Harry Byrne and Penny get selected to step up to the next level.
Ah, gotcha.

I don't think it'll happen. Penny is behind three(!) Irish internationals - indeed it wouldn't be massively surprising if neither of the players involved in the Autumn Series (JVDF and Connors) got a start with Leavy back fit and in good form. Penny is probably the player in Ireland in the toughest position selectorially at the moment - he's so good, but so are his rivals.

Harry might have a chance - it depends on how the coaches value what they have seen from him while his brother was away - I'd say he appears to be in better form than Ross, but Ross has been playing international rugby whilst the games Harry has been playing are of questionable quality and competitiveness
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A European game in France in mid-Winter is no place for new faces and thank goodness Leo fully understands that. Expect a team of experienced travellers going to a tough venue who will be intend on slowing our tempo and dragging us into the sort of forward contest we haven't experienced since Sarries.

Hopefully plenty of R&R for Porter and Ryan and no little recuperation for Healy and Doris. Figuring out the balance whilst trying to ensure we have a fully integrated pack will be the challenge.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:23 pm A European game in France in mid-Winter is no place for new faces and thank goodness Leo fully understands that. Expect a team of experienced travellers going to a tough venue who will be intend on slowing our tempo and dragging us into the sort of forward contest we haven't experienced since Sarries.

Hopefully plenty of R&R for Porter and Ryan and no little recuperation for Healy and Doris. Figuring out the balance whilst trying to ensure we have a fully integrated pack will be the challenge.
What 23 would you go with?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Does anyone know if JR passed his HIA?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

wixfjord wrote: December 5th, 2020, 4:05 pm Team for next week for me:

Healy, Tracy, Porter, Ryan, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Doris, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Frawley, Henshaw, DK, Keenan,
Kelleher, Dooley, Bent, Baird, Leavy, Fardy, JGP, JOB

Assuming Lowe is fit and Ringer isn't.
I like the look of that team especially the back row although, for me, VDF has only the slimmest hold on a starting place over WC.

Tracy deservedly rewarded for his recent efforts but I'm not sure Leo will see it that way.

Frawley's talent set really showing it's usefulness in this line up, I hope he can maintain his level of play in European competition. Would love to see him play at out half for a while in a difficult game like this, could be revealing.

We desperately need Scott Fardy and James Ryan to rediscover some form.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ryan was in good form for leinster IMO.

Irish form is worrying.